Baby Progress

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, April 18, 2014

23 weeks - Baby #2

Pregnancy Highlights:

23 weeks
How Far Along : 23 weeks

Size of Baby :  ~11" long & ~1+ lbs

Total Weight Gain : ~11 lbs.  Just when I was starting to worry b/c I hadn't gained weight in 3 wks, I had an overnight jump.  I'm still 6 lbs less in gain than last time, which puts me close to the same actual weight as I was then.  A happy-medium place to be.

Maternity Clothes :  100%.  I'm still using the belly band to help hold up my over-the-belly pants as my belly is still not quite big enough, but hopefully it won't be much longer.  I'm also really looking forward to the shorts and tanks season (still months away, I'm sure - though it's a beautiful 70° today).

Best Moment This Week : I really enjoyed taking Ash to the dentist and the barber all in one morning (clean teeth & a clean cut), but as usual the best was probably my OB appointment.  My appointments are still only every 4 weeks, so it's a monthly treat to hear that little thump-thump on the doppler.

The bones of Ash's nursery put together at 23 wks
Gender : It's a boy!  It's funny to go back and read about how far along we were at this point with Ash.  We already had a name picked out, and had the basics of the nursery almost completely put together.  For poor little #2, we've got nothing in the nursery yet and no name at all.  But this weekend we're taking Ash shopping, so the crib and rocker will move to the guest room and the transformation will slowly begin.

Movement : Still consistently moving at night when I'm lounging on the couch watching TV before bed and while I'm trying to fall asleep.  He moves at other times during the day, but I'm too busy and distracted with two toddlers to find patterns.  I'm grateful he moves just enough to keep worry at bay, but not so much that I'm uncomfortable.

I had thought he was getting super-strong and shoving his feet into me periodically until it occurred to me that I was having Braxton Hicks contractions that were squeezing the poor little guy.  So his feet were digging into me, but it wasn't his doing.  I've been a lot more careful this week to stay hydrated, and if I feel B.Hicks coming on I take it as a reminder to drink some more water and sit down and rest if that's possible (not always with 2 toddlers).  I'm a little relieved to know it's not him already showing aggressive tendencies. :)

Food Craving :  I've been drinking a LOT of (decaf) coffee & (not always decaf) iced tea.  Yum!  I've also had some really healthy cravings, like pre-made salads from the grocery store (greens, dried fruit, cheese, berry vinaigrette) and fresh strawberries.  Of course I'll still take pizza or CFA any day, but it's nice to feel the treats fast paying off in my mentality about food (at the moment... check back in after Easter!! ;-D)

What I Miss Most : Not constantly feeling tired, mostly.  Also being able to lay on my stomach.

Sleep : I'm pretty much waking up every couple hours to "roll over"... if only the operation of getting my body flipped the other direction within my pillow cocoon was as simple as a "roll over".  I tend to spend the night on either side leaning either forward or backward with the pillow keeping me at a
45° angle.

What I Am Looking Forward To : Tomorrow we take Ash shopping for his new bedroom stuff.  He doesn't even know yet, but it's going to be so much fun!  Then Sunday I can't wait to read the Easter story with him and let him hunt his dozen eggs (with just a couple M&M's, Reece's pieces, or Skittles in them).  I always loved the Easter egg tradition, when I was young enough to hunt AND when I was old enough to help hide the eggs for the little ones; I can't wait to pass it on to Ash.

Belly Button : same.

Symptoms : So it seems that I'm still dealing with occasional nausea. I can almost count on having one nauseous day each weekend (in addition to random weekdays too). I'm beginning to think that maybe sleeping in on Sat/Sun (therefore eating breakfast later) is too long between meals. Conundrum since I can't eat too late or chance reflux keeping me up at night, so I usually don't eat after dinner. Not sure how to fix it at the moment, but I'll figure out a balance eventually between my need for food and my need for sleep :)

Then there was the outbreak of B.Hicks this weekend that almost had me worried.  But I really did get under-hydrated.  Sometimes drinking water makes my reflux flare up, so Sunday when I was feeling nauseous I didn't feel like drinking more water.  Seems everything is about balancing two opposing symptoms/needs.  Since Sunday I've been much more intentional to drink all 100oz of water each day and keep my water bottle nearby to ward off those pesky contractions.  I'm definitely feeling them earlier/stronger than before, and recognizing them for what they are this time.

Otherwise it's the same old : reflux, fatigue, occasional aches.  Pretty ordinary, and it's been a decent week since I got past the weekend issues.

Compared to last time : Like I said, some things are worse than last time - like B.Hicks and nausea.  But other things are much better - less reflux, less back-aches (regular time at the gym paying off), and no carpal tunnel yet.  I'm so happy about that last one; I remember how annoying it was to have that constant tingle in my hand, and so far this time I've had none.  Here's hoping I can say that all the way through till the end.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment