Baby Progress

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

27 weeks and trimester ambiguity

So depending on where you read, I'm either entering the third trimester today or next week, or somewhere in the middle of this week.  Honestly, it's all a mess... you don't get an even # when you divide 40/3, so there's no clean weekly answer to when the trimester shifts.  If we assume I carry 2 weeks past due (mom's pattern and not unusual for a first), then we wait till the end of the week.  But either way you look at it, sometime in this week I'll be switching from second trimester to third trimester.  Things I like about that: his lungs and organs are developed enough that he could survive (with lots of medical help) if he were to be born now, so that takes a load off my mind.  Of course we want him to stay in till he's fully baked, but it's just nice to know in the back of my mind.  I also like that we're getting close to the end.  I'm still "enjoying" the process, but there are definite moments when I think "I can't wait to get this thing outta me" :)  I never understood all the 9 month mamas wishing for the day, but now I get it... which is rough b/c I'm only 6 months :-D  But really in generally you won't hear my complain.  A relatively uncomplicated and "easy" pregnancy so far, I'm still counting my blessings.  Still amazed at where I was a year ago and where I am today... and I'm reminded of Sara Groves' song : "from this one place I can't see very far, in this one moment I'm square in the dark, these are the things I will trust in my heart, you can see something else."  A year ago I couldn't see this far and was seriously struggling with the loss of blueberry and lack of conception since.  A year ago I hadn't begun Hearts Like Hannah's and the healing process that came with a support group.  A year ago I couldn't imagine being where I am today.  And I'm grateful to be where I am today, and will probably be marveling again in a year about how different things are then. :)

Pregnancy Highlights:

How Far Along: 27 weeks

Size of Baby: 14-15" long, ~2 lbs

Total Weight Gain: ~22 lbs

Maternity Clothes: exclusively

Best Moment this week:  I loved my three day weekend with my hubs.  Low key and nerdy, with lots of reading and video game playing and puppy snuggling.  Just how we like it :)

Gender: BOY! 

Movement:  He seems to be gradually settling into a schedule, or I'm just starting to notice.  There are certain times of the day I can almost be guaranteed he's going to be active... unfortunately two of those are when I go to bed and in the wee hours of the morning :)

Food Craving: crunchy!  I know, that's not necessarily a food.  But I've been thinking about Molly's kale salad for weeks... it's kale, which is crunchy to begin with, but it's got apples and nuts in it too.  I also almost bought crunchy peanut butter at the grocery store.  And I've been CRAVING veggies.  Like I did with meat my first trimester.  I just can't get enough.  Last night I made Josh a steak and I just had a bowl of veggies (love the Green Giant veggie medleys... Healthy Vision, Healthy Weight... they're delicious).

What I Miss Most:  my old body, which I'll never fully get back, but can have some of it back once I recover from this pregnancy... I can't wait to stretch and lay on my stomach and go running again!

Sleep: I've been sleeping fine when I sleep, but just not getting enough of it.  I mean, I can be in bed from 10pm-8am and still want to stay in bed b/c I wake 3x's a night to pee, and Ash keeps me up with his kicks and tickles.  I'm starting into the 3rd trimester fatigue a little already.

What I am looking forward to:  Monday is my ultrasound!! 
 
Belly Button: threatening to pop

Symptoms: reflux, carpal tunnel.  I've also experienced for the first time in the last week or two where I could feel a body part pushing out... once I think it was a foot, and the 2nd time it was bigger like a butt or a head (and it hurt).  I pushed back and it finally disappeared.  I have also experienced some significant rib pain, especially up near my sternum.  I told Josh it's ironic that everyone compares seeing the baby move to that scene in Alien, but no one talks about how those little guys are called chest bursters, and that's how I felt this weekend.  My mom said she distinctly remembers the rib pain when she had us... short and small framed doesn't make much room for baby, so baby makes his own room.  But some tylenol did the trick and it hasn't been continuing constantly, thank God.  I also think I may be having Braxton Hicks contractions occasionally.  Reading descriptions of what they feel like, I realized I may have been experiencing them for a while and just didn't realize that's what they were.  But it's starting to be more distinct. 

No comments:

Post a Comment